Friday, September 1, 2017

A Life Changing Experience

It was one of my best decisions to have applied for this summer program - with no doubt it was the highlight of my summer before university. I found this pre-college experience abroad rewarding in numerous ways. Put living the American Dream for 10 days aside, we had the opportunity to meet new people, bond with fellow Cypriots from both communities in Cyprus and learn a lot about social entrepreneurship during our daily discussions. 

Our days there basically consisted of two parts. We would have classes in the morning and trips in the afternoon. Whether they were field trips or excursions to museums, they were educational and a lot of fun at the same time. I would like to remark on our trips to the so-called “incubators”. Honestly, I had no idea of what an incubator is at the beginning and I would have never guessed it is a place where innovative  ideas are literally incubated and brought to life. It was very intriguing to observe and speak with entrepreneurs about their ideas as well as receiving feedback on our own social venture projects which we were working on as part of the program. 

What was emphasised a lot during the seminars is that anyone regardless of their age could be an entrepreneur and despite this, it was quite surprising to figure out people our own age and even younger are working on their own projects. Before participating in this program, I thought business concepts and entrepreneurship are not quite within my scope of abilities. However, not only this experience changed my ideas but I believe it also improved my self-confidence as well as my communication and team-working skills. 

To sum up, this program was life-changing and I am so grateful to have participated in it. I have learned a lot, had a lot of fun and met a number of great people. 

Hasan




No comments:

Post a Comment