Friday, September 1, 2017

Experiencing the American Dream



From the moment we stepped foot in DC, I could tell that the next 10 days would be something to remember. All the places I got to see , and all the wonderful people I got to meet while in Washington, warranted all my expectations.
As far as the academics go, the course we took was Leadership and Social Entrepreneurship. The professor taught us about the pillars of entrepreneurship and encouraged us to generate discussions. It was these discussions that made every moment of class count, as they really widened my scope of Social Entrepreneurship. We learned not only how to develop and sustain a business, but most importantly learned that a company can make profit and work towards the greater good all at the same time. Creating our own social venture was the pinnacle of my academic experience at GW and will be a solid point of reference for my future entrepreneurship endeavours.

Everyday, after class finished, we got to explore the city and had the chance to visit a bunch of interesting places. For me, 2 places really stood out from the rest. Number one has to be our day trip to Annapolis, Maryland. When we got to the main port of the city, the water was so clear , it was like I was looking at a postcard. The port has a large historical and cultural importance to the city, as it used to be slave port, something that made the whole experience very humbling. We spent the rest of the day wandering around the city, having some ice cream and simmering down before we dove back to our busy schedule.

Of course I can’t forget to mention number 2, which was our visit to the U.S State Department. We had the once-in-a lifetime opportunity to meet the deputy assistant secretary Cohen. We talked about many issues that are close to all of our hearts, such as the Cypriot issue. It was a truly  overwhelming yet illuminating experience. 

To sum it all up, the 2017 GW Cyprus youth summer institute was fantastic. I’m sure that this trip will be a grounding reference point for me and my peers.

Mike H.



No comments:

Post a Comment